Friday, November 2, 2012

coach outlet online On Sanders' face was a look of innocent surprise

On Sanders' face was a look of innocent surprise. "Chief," said he, "you do me great honour that you gather your young men to welcome me; nevertheless, I would rather see them working in their gardens."
He walked along one row of fighting men, plentifully besmeared with cam-wood, and his was the leisurely step of some great personage inspecting a guard of honour.
"I perceive," he went on, talking over his shoulder to the chief who, fascinated by the unexpected vision, followed him, "I perceive that each man has a killing spear, also a fighting shield of wicker work, and many have N'Gombi swords."
"Lord, it is true," said the chief, recovering his wits, "for we go hunting elephant in the Great Forest."
"Also that some have the little bones of men fastened about their necks--that is not for the elephant."
He said this meditatively, musingly, as he continued his inspection, and the chief was frankly embarrassed.
"There is a rumour," he stammered, "it is said--there came a spy who told us--that the Ochori were gathering for war, and we were afraid----"
"Strange," said Sanders, half to himself, but speaking in the vernacular, "strange indeed is this story, for I have come straight from the Ochori city,homepage, and there I saw nothing but men who ground corn and hunted peacefully; also their chief is ill, suffering from a fever."
He shook his head in well-simulated bewilderment.
"Lord," said the poor chief of the Akasava, "perhaps men have told us lies--such things have happened----"
"That is true," said Sanders gravely. "This is a country of lies; some say that I am dead; and, lo! the news has gone around that there is no law in the land, and men may kill and war at their good pleasure."
"Though I die at this minute," said the chief virtuously, "though the river turn to fire and consume my inmost stomach, though every tree become a tiger to devour me, I have not dreamt of war."
Sanders grinned internally.
"Spare your breath," he said gently. "You who go hunting elephants, for it is a long journey to the Great Forest, and there are many swamps to be crossed,nike shox torch ii, many rivers to be swum,fake uggs boots. My heart is glad that I have come in time to bid you farewell."
There was a most impressive silence, for this killing of elephants was a stray excuse of the chief's. The Great Forest is a journey of two months, one to get there and one to return, and is moreover through the most cursed country, and the Akasava are not a people that love long journeys save with the current of the river.
The silence was broken by the chief.
"Lord, we desire to put off our journey in your honour, for if we go,Fake Designer Handbags, how shall we gather in palaver?"
Sanders shook his head.
"Let no man stop the hunter," quoth he. "Go in peace, chief, and you shall secure many teeth."[3] He saw a sudden light come to the chief's eyes, but continued, "I will send with you a sergeant of Houssas, that he may carry back to me the story of your prowess"--the light died away again--"for there will be many liars who will say that you never reached the Great Forest, and I shall have evidence to confound them."

No comments:

Post a Comment